CANCER TREATMENT AND DIET
Cancer is something, which is as good as to say that it is inevitable when it has to happen to someone. There is no stopping of it. When cancer is diagnosed in someone, every part of our mind runs toward the possibility of curing it via its treatment. But the problem is people do not know where to start from…
The decision of choosing the right treatment should be done with a very mature and free mind. One always needs to be comfortable with the choices they have made. Choosing the treatment is actually a personal decision, which is taken with the help of the doctor, family and friends.
Treatment of cancer may include surgery, chemotherapy, radiotherapy, hormonal therapy, target therapy, synthetic lethality, gene therapy and radiation. Cancer treatment may also include a combination of these.
Communicate with your doctor
Basically, a doctor recommends the treatment based on stages of cancer, side effects, patient’s health and capability. It is very important to partner with your doctor for discussing your treatment which you are going to take. You also should be very specific about your treatment including time, side effects and stay open to the casualties as well as possibilities.
Don’t be pressurised by anyone for anything regarding your choice of treatment. Pick your treatment very wisely, freely and comfortably which you think will suit you best for your body and mind. Take help and support from family, friends and well-wishers. Don’t be in denial. Well, research your treatment options. Research doctors in field and their success and case studies. Analyse benefits verses risks.
While undergoing a cancer treatment there are certain kinds of side effects and discomfort that become very difficult to cope with. It then becomes very important to take more care in and give more importance to food. Certain types of food can ease your discomfort and maintaining a certain healthy diet will be your partner in hard times.
Cancer patient should take right type and amount of food. Already so many things must be going wrong in life, at least food should be right which will also make your health right.
Types of food you should take
- Fresh fruits as it has vitamins and good water content
- Yogurt which is good for healthy digestion
- Hot/cold cereals
- Whole grains
- Peanut butter/cheese
If lack of appetite
- Have small and frequent meals
- Don’t wait till hungry, if you have a scheduled time to eat
- High calorie, nutrient rich food like nuts, beans, seeds, cereals and avocado
- Eat your favourites
- Make appealing dishes with presentations
- Add presentation to your kitchen
Several side effects of treatment can be regulated by food
- Constipation- drink more water and consume high fibrous food
- Diarrhoea- rice, banana, apple, drink water to avoid dehydration
- Sore mouth- soft and liquid food, purees, soups, milk and yogurt
- Nix nausea- avoid greasy food, take small meals, relax your stomach with light food and drink water
Food by category
- Tomato, carrots, peas, pumpkin, turnip
- Broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage
- Bitter gourd
- Green leafy vegetables for Calcium and iron
- Beans, lentils, chickpeas, nuts
- Yogurt, milk, buttermilk
- Rice, chapatti, wholegrain bread and pasta
- Oats, corn, potato, beans
There are also don’ts
- Sugar, salt, oily foods
- Red and processed meats
- Preserved food or juices
If possible, completely give up on a non-vegetarian diet. It has scientifically proven that it animal protein is heated very high, it creates carcinogenic by-products called heterocyclic amines.
Stay healthy and disease free!