KNOW ABOUT BLOOD PRESSURE and HIGH BP
Blood pressure (BP) is the pressure exerted by the blood on the walls of arteries. Hypertension (High BP) is the continuous very high arterial blood pressure due to narrowing of the arteries caused by fat deposits. It is a silent killer because there are no obvious signs or symptoms by which pre-cure or precautions cannot be done.
BLOOD PRESSURE RANGES
|Normal||120/ 80 mm of Hg|
|Normotension||<140 mm of Hg or <90 mm of Hg|
|Borderline||141 to 159 mm of Hg or 91 to 94 mm of Hg|
|Hypertension||>160 mm of Hg or >95 mm of Hg|
If your BP lies in normal, you are healthy if not then you must worry about this and take steps.
Myths about hypertension, it is an old age disease
It’s not just an old age problem. More & more young people are suffering from high BP related ailments. With age, blood vessels tend to weaken and hence the chances of getting high BP increases as you grow older.
As per WHO, High BP affects every 3rd person above the age of 18. Proportion increases with age from 1 in 10 in their 20s & 30s to 5 in 10 people in their 50s.
Here are some suggestions for your diet, what to eat or not if you are suffering from hypertension.
- Sodium rich foods like baking powder/ baking soda, table salt, canned fruits and vegetables, pickles & chutneys.
- Foods containing these like bakery products (bread, burger, pizza etc.)
- Organ meats ( liver, kidney, brain), red meats (muscle, pork), egg yolk.
- Hydrogenated fats (vanaspati, ghee) and margarine.
- Alcohol, refined sugar and milk chocolate.
- Garlic, lemon, parsley, sunflower seeds, amla.
- Fruits like grapefruit, blackberry, watermelon, banana, guava, kiwi, and dried apricot control your BP.
- Vegetables like beets, bitter gourd, spinach, baked squash, baked potato.
- Potassium-rich food like yogurt, avocado.
- Drink water as much as you can.
Easy Ways to Control Blood Pressure Without Medicine
- Gourd (lauki) juice with coriander (dhania), pudina, basil leaves and black pepper.
- Bel Patra (billet leaves) crushed on stone, boil with water then drink when cool.
- ½ spoon fenugreek seeds (methi dana) soaked in 1 glass warm water for whole night and chew it & drink warm water.
- ½ spoon cinnamon (daalchini) and ½ spoon honey (if you are not diabetic) with a glass of warm water.
Exercises to control it
By ~ Steffy Brizawar